Friday, November 30, 2012

Preparing Our Hearts for Advent

JMJT! Praise be Jesus Christ! Now and Forever!


It is hard to believe that we are celebrating St. Andrew the Apostle's Feast Day, and that Advent begins in just two more days!  The desire always stirs in my heart for  simplicity, quiet, and solitude during this holy season. Yet, I find that I have to fight for this and carve out time for the prayer, preparation and quietude that Advent requires to truly allow a deepening of the Christ Child to snuggle and attach to the womb of my soul.

Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity wrote a compelling letter on November 29, 1905 to one of her spiritual directors, Abbe Chevignard, about the Carmelite approach towards Advent.  She writes,

The holy time of Advent is here; it seems to me that is is very especially the season of interior souls, those who live unceasingly and through everything wholly 'hidden with Christ in God" at the center of themselves. In expectation of the great mystery, I love to go deeply into that beautiful psalm XVIII, which we often say at Matins, and particularly these verses: "There he has placed his tent in the sun, and this star comes forth like a bridegroom coming from his bed, rejoices like a champion to run its course. At the end of the sky is the rising of the sun; to the furthest end of the sky is its course; nothing is concealed from its burning heat." Let us empty our soul so He can come forth in it and communicate the eternal life that is its own; the Father has given Him "power over the flesh" for that purpose, as we are told in the Gospel. And then, in the silence of prayer, let us listen to Him, for He is the 'Source' who speaks within us and who has said, "He who sent me is true, and I tell all I have heard from Him. " Let us ask Him to make us true in our love, to make us sacrificial beings, for it seems to me that sacrifice is only love put into action: "He loved me, He gave Himself for me." I love this thought, that the life of the priest (and of the Carmelite) is an Advent that prepares for the Incarnation in souls. In one psalm, David sings that "fire goes before the Lord." [Ps 96:3] Isn't fire love? And isn't our mission also to prepare the way of the Lord through our union with Him whom the Apostle calls a "consuming fire"? [Heb12:29] At His touch our soul will become like a flame of love spreading into all the members of the body of Christ, the Church; then we will console the Heart of our Master, who, showing us to the Father, will be able to say: "I am already glorified in them." [Col.1:24]

Help me, Monsieur l'Abbe, I have great need of it, for the more light there is, the more I feel my powerlessness. On Dec. 8th (since you are a high priest), would you consecrate me to the power of His love so I may in truth be "Laudem Gloriae"; I read that in Saint Paul and I understood that it was my vocation, even now in exile while awaiting the eternal Sanctus."  (Letter 250, 11/29/1905 from The Complete Works, Vol Two, Letters from Carmel, Elizabeth of the Trinity)

Like Bl. Elizabeth and St. Andrew, at the outset of Advent we are called to proclaim that "We have found the Messiah." (John 1:40) He is within our hearts if we allow Him room. He is found most especially in His earthly tabernacle, much like the womb of Our Lady who carried Him, in the Most Blessed Sacrament. Let us come and Adore Him. Let us be still and follow Him, and then let us bring others to Him, as St. Andrew brought his brother Simon to Jesus, and as Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity silently did so as well through the power of her prayers made through His Indwelling within her.  Amen.